How To Obtain A Green Card: Immigration Lawyer

A Green Card enables you to live and work in the United States for the rest of your life – in other words, to become a permanent resident. Our Immigration Attorneys are here to help: Kennewick, Tacoma, Yakima, Moses Lake, Seattle, and Portland.

Green Card Through Family Members: Ritchie Reiersen Immigration Attorneys

Ritchie Reiersen Immigration Attorneys have years of experience working through the U.S. immigration system, and can answer your immigration questions about how to get your Green Card. Most people obtain their Green Cards either by being sponsored by a family member, or through their employment. A U.S. citizen may sponsor their spouse, minor children, adult children, parents or siblings. A permanent resident is limited to sponsoring only their spouse, minor children and unmarried adult children. At Ritchie Reiersen Immigration Law, our team of Immigration Lawyers are experienced and can help with all your immigration needs. We provide immigration services in Kennewick, Yakima, Portland, Tacoma, Seattle and Auburn. Call today to book your free consultation with a skilled Immigration Attorney. (888) 884-7337

US flag
US citizenship

Green Card Through Employers: Ritchie Reiersen Immigration Attorneys

If you are trying to obtain your Green Card through an employment-based petition, the Immigration Lawyers at Ritchie Reiersen Immigration have years of experience and can help you through the process. Immigrants can be eligible to become permanent U.S. residents through their employment, based upon specific skills. Depending on the type of work and position, however, in order for employers to obtain permission to solicit immigrant employees, the employer must provide proof that finding U.S. workers has been exhausted and unfruitful. Once an employer has established the need for immigrant workers, those workers can begin the process of obtaining their Green Cards.

Employment-based immigration can be a cumbersome and confusing process to manage alone. Contact Ritchie Reiersen Immigration Lawyers for an appointment to have a risk-free consultation. We will answer your questions and help you determine the best option for yourself and your loved ones. Ritchie Reiersen Immigration Law provides immigration services in Kennewick, Yakima, Moses Lake, Tacoma, Seattle, Auburn, and Portland. Call today at (888) 884-7337.

Why You Should have An Immigration Attorney

Many people with immigration needs find it very helpful to have an experienced Immigration Attorney on their side. The laws involving United States immigration are complicated and constantly changing. Additionally, the application paperwork is time consuming and can quickly become overwhelming and frustrating. At Ritchie Reiersen Law, our Immigration Attorneys are dedicated to helping our clients achieve the best possible outcomes with their immigration needs. With respect and attention to detail, we will help you understand the immigration options that are available to you and guide you through the process. Our team of Immigration Lawyers is experienced with all your immigration needs and stand ready to help. With immigration services in and around Kennewick, Yakima, Moses Lake, Tacoma, Seattle, Auburn, and Portland, we are ready to help you where and when you need it. Call today to schedule your free consultation with an experienced and compassionate Immigration Attorney near you. 1 (888) 884-7337

Download Our  Immigration Guide Book Free

Feel free to ask for all immigration purposes from our immigration lawyer. This book is composed of easy to understand action steps so you can understand things better for yourself or your family.
immigration guide book

Our Immigration Services

The process to becoming a U.S. citizen or receiving any type of visa can be very complex and confusing - and often quite frustrating.  An experienced immigration lawyer at Ritchie Reiersen Law will care for you and help you understand each step of the immigration process.

Frequently Asked Questions

How often do I have to renew my green card?
Most green cards have to be renewed every 10 years. Conditional green cards, based on marriage or investment, must be replaced after the first 2 years.
What is a green card?
A green card is proof of lawful permanent resident status, and gives the holder the right to live and work anywhere in the United States. Green cards are issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  Green card holders can sponsor certain family members for immigration and after a time are eligible to apply for citizenship.
How can I find out which green card I should apply for?
The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) webpage lists all of the green card eligibility categories. Which green card you apply for would depend on your specific situation. For further assistance, an experienced Immigration Attorney can help you determine what the best option for your situation would be.
What is “conditional permanent residence”?
A conditional green card is valid for two years and is typically granted in cases where a spouse is granted a green card but has been married for less than two years. A conditional green card holder must file form I-751 to “remove the conditions” and obtain a permanent green card.
Can my green card application be denied?
Green card applications can be denied by the U.S. government for several reasons. These may include inaccurate information, incomplete application, mistakes on the forms, missing documentation, insufficient financial resources, or failure to demonstrate eligibility.
What is a biometric screening?
A biometric screening is an appointment with a government representative where they take your fingerprints, photograph, and signature. These items are compared to a government database to ensure there are no serious criminal history or prior immigration violations. The biometrics screening appointment is typically very short in duration.
What is a priority date?
Unless you are an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, your green card application is subject to the visa bulletin. There are a limited number of family-sponsored green cards granted each year. Because the demand for green cards exceeds the allowed amount, applicants are given a priority date. This is the date at which you will become eligible to complete the green card process.

The process is much like taking a number for service when you walk into a busy office or the DMV. You take your number and must sit and wait for that number to be called. The people who have numbers before your number will receive service before you do. The priority date system functions in much the same way.

Do I automatically get a green card when I marry a U.S. citizen?
No. In order to obtain a green card through marriage to a U.S. citizen, certain requirements must be met. This is done to ensure that benefits received by individuals are based on a bona fide marriage, and not done simply for immigration purposes.
How do I know what my priority date is?
After you have filed your green card petition, you will receive form I-797, “Notice of Action”. This notice will give you information, such as:

  • Receipt number
  • Case type
  • Receipt date
  • Priority date
  • Petitioner
  • Notice Date
  • Beneficiary

The date listed under the heading “Priority Date” can be compared to the Visa Bulletin to determine when you will become eligible to complete the green card process.

Free Legal Consultation

Sometimes you just need some advice. Tell us how we can help.


All accident, personal injury, and immigration consultations are free and carry no obligation.