A common concern after a car accident is what happens if you miss work? How do you get paid if you physically can’t work because You’re injured? As it turns out, wage loss truly is one of the hardest things to get compensated for after a car accident. The reason for this is that the insurance company refuses to pay more than they have to (because business).
So you have a few things you have to do to get compensated for wage loss:
- You need prove how much work you missed.
- You need to prove that a doctor excused you from work.
- You need to make sure there is no way that an insurance company can say that you should have been able to work, but you just didn’t want to.
Now, this is all a lot easier said than done. Here’s how you should go about getting it done.
- Make sure you tell the doctor that you can’t work, and you need to make sure that doctor gets you a doctor’s note. Take that to your work, so therefore there’s documentation at the doctor’s office and also at your work.
- Talk to either your HR department or someone who can keep track of how many hours you actually miss because of this accident. At the very end of the case you can go back and ask for a report on the company letterhead with exactly how many hours you missed because of your accident.
- Keep track of all kinds of documentation like pay stubs. Sometimes you even have to get into taxes. All these will document how much money you actually missed. For instance, you might have to pay for an extra employee. You will have to prove to the insurance company as to how much more money you spent.
Now, if you’re going to miss a substantial amount of work, know the insurance company is going to fight it. It is probably wise to consult with a personal injury attorney. That is what we do. We make sure you get all your bills paid, we help make sure you get compensated for your injuries, and we make sure you get your wage loss paid for. We take care of you, and we make sure you don’t get hit financially because of your accident. So contact a personal injury attorney. The consultation is free, and we’ll sit down with you, explain the process, and answer any questions you have.
If you have more questions, please contact us! If you found this information helpful, please download our free Car Accident Crash Book.